According to a recent USA Census, close to 20% of high school aged are overweight and many of these are obese. Children are starring at their electronic screens longer then ever, and are subject to more surgery foods then ever before. Not only is this bad for their health, but can lead to self esteem issues that impact their entire lives.
Outdoor play for as little as 30 minutes per day, not only provides good exercise but many other benefits. Through education and providing a positive mindset to a healthy life is so important to reverse this trend. Playing outside has been so fundamental for childrens for so many generations, our kids will be missing out on some of the best memories without playing outside!
Highschool Kids Overweight
Of Kids Under 8 yrs old Have their own Cellphone
of Day is Spent watching a screen (ages 5 to 16)
10 Benefits to outdoor play for kids:
- It stimulates imagination.
- Provides plenty of exercise.
- Reduces stress & fatigue.
- Teaches responsibility.
- Improves hand eye coordination.
- Helps kids socialize.
- Fresh air and Vitamin D is great.
- Improves vision.
- Promotes healthy lifestyle.
- Presents new and fun learning situations.
How to Get your Kids to Play Outdoors:
But how can we get mad at our kids, when most parents do the same thing?
Encouraging kids to go outdoors and play is much easier in the summertime. Keeping them active all year round is a bit of a challenge. If your children are reluctant to play outdoors, you could try motivating outdoor play by offering a trade. The more they play outdoors, the more likely they are to discover they enjoy it! Or maybe to get that special snack they love.
Here’s 5 Steps for Parents to Take to Encourage Outdoor Play:
- Lead by Example – Do not expect your kids to go outside and play, while you sit and watch tv. Use this as family time to go outside and do something you may enjoy (or at least chores like gardening).
- Limit Screen Time – As parents we are also guilty of being overly addicted to our phones. Challenge yourself by you and the kids placing their cell phone, tablets, or any other electronics at a tray by the front door when coming home from school. There are lots of productivity trackers that can be installed on your computers or cell phone that limit amount of time spent daily.
- Make it Fun – Instead of just going outside to play, how about making it fun! We have a collection of Backyard Games for Kids that the entire family will love!
- Teach Your Kids Something Fun – This is another example of leading by example. Try teaching your kids something fun that will turn into a hobby. This may be building a fort, working on bikes, shooting hoops, planting a garden, or collecting bugs.
- Reward Them – if all else fails, bribe them. If they spend an hour playing outside, they can earn some TV or video game time.
10 Fun Outdoor Activities for Kids:
1. Going for a walk
You may need to turn off the tv as well and stretch those legs. It may not be safe for your kids alone, so going out for a walk together or planning longer excursions or nature walks, is one of the easiest ways to get out.
2. Tossing a ball around
3. Join A Sports League
Playing an organized sport should be essential for young kids. Not only is it good exercise but helps kids meet new friends, build team and cooperation skills, and inspire competitiveness.
4. Building a Tree Fort
Involving your kids in the design and building of their treehouse, will have them excited for it and a great learning opportunity. As a bonus they will have the coolest play house that all their future friends will want to come hang out in.
Something about camping with the clean air, amazing stars above you, and no interruptions is one of the most fun things you can do outdoors. It pushes kids to go outside their comfort zones and experience new activities they are not familiar with. You don’t necessarily even need to leave the comfort of your own house. Setup a tent in your backyard and have “play” camping.
6. Backyard Games
As Backyard Games enthusiasts (obviously) we have no shortage of ideas that kids can play outdoors. The outdoor kids games can really be as simple as who can fill a pail of water the fastest, or playing with new cool improved throw and catch toys. There are so many inventive DIY toys and new toys available on the market, that are affordable and fun. Improvements to throw and catch are games like Ringstix or Djubi. Our favorite group kids game is boochie but we also have a bunch of group games that are great for kids birthday party games.