What is the Asshole Card Game?
The Asshole Game is an engaging group card game, reminiscent of poker, where the goal is to be the first to play all your cards. Also known as “President & Assholes,” this game is a fun and strategic way to spend time with friends. Each player takes turns laying down a card(s) that is higher than the last one played. The first player to get rid of all their cards becomes the “President” in the next round.
While this game can be played with a drink in hand, it’s important to remember that the focus is on the strategy and enjoyment of the game itself, not on the consumption of alcohol. Always remember to drink responsibly and know your limits.
Be the first player to get rid of all your cards so you can be the President and remain in power and not be the Asshole.
Check out a similar game Big 2.
How to Play Asshole Card Game
In this game, your goal is to be the first to play all your cards by placing a higher set of cards than the previous player, similar to having a higher hand in poker. Players typically play weaker cards first, saving stronger cards for later. Below are the simplified rules for the Asshole Card Game:
- Deal Cards: Deal 6 or 7 cards to each player. If playing with 4 or fewer players, deal 10 cards each.
- Starting Play: The player holding the 3 of Clubs starts the game. After the first play, suits don’t matter. The play continues clockwise. The starting player can play a single card or any combination they like.
Card Ranking and Combinations:
- Card Ranking: Cards rank from 3 to Ace (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen, King, Ace). The 2 is a special card, known as the clear or power card, and is the highest.
- Poker-style Hands: Think of poker hands when playing cards. Pairs beat single cards, three-of-a-kind beats pairs, straights beat three-of-a-kind, and so on. You need to play a similar set but with higher-ranking cards. For example, a pair of 6s beats a pair of 4s.
- Special Cards: The 2 card can be played to win any round, and the player who played it starts the next round with any card or combination. Some versions allow a Joker as a wild card, but this is optional.
- Playing Cards: Players take turns playing card(s) that are higher than the last set played.
- Equal Cards Rule: If a player plays cards that are equal in rank to the previous set, the next player’s turn is skipped.
- Passing: Once you choose to pass (if you do so voluntarily), you cannot play again in the same round.
- Mandatory Play Rule (optional): In some variations, if you can beat the current set, you must, but normally you can pass if you wish.
End of Round and Position Assignments:
- President and Asshole: The first player to play all their cards is named the President in the next round. The last player becomes the Asshole. The Asshole must give their two highest cards to the President, who in return can give back any two cards.
- Additional Positions for Larger Groups: For larger groups, you can have Vice Presidents and Vice Assholes. In such cases, the exchange is one card each.
This game can also be played with additional drinking rules integrated into the gameplay. While the Asshole Card Game can be played with a drink in hand, it’s important to remember that the focus is on the strategy and enjoyment of the game itself, not on the consumption of alcohol. Always remember to drink responsibly and know your limits.
Asshole Card Game Drinking Rules
Asshole is not a game that will get you silly drunk but is a fun party game for adults. Feel free to make your own variations, but these are the drinking rules we play in our backyard:
- 2 drinks for the player that goes out first each round
- 2 Drinks for the Asshole each round
- Playing a 2 (clear card) makes the last person you beat take 2 drinks
- Any time a single king is played (take a drink)
- Having your turn skipped (by a player playing the same card) take a drink and wait your turn.
- Asshole always shuffles and offers to refill the drinks for anyone.
If you are looking to try out more games, drunk Jenga or drunk Uno are also great party games. If you prefer to drink with your friends on the couch, check out our list of 10 must-try movie drinking games.